Monday, November 19, 2012

The Tallest Man in Scotland

Anyone who knows Nick Howard is already familiar with his passion for music, poetry and the arts.  Although campus is not quite as merry without him this semester, we were eager to hear all about his cultural adventures while abroad in Scotland, and even heard he got to meet one of his musical heroes in the process- nearly by accident!

-----
RS: What influenced you to go to Scotland?

NH: I was influenced to go to Scotland because of the academic reputation of St. Andrews. I did not really process it as being part of Scotland or the UK. I figured that I knew enough about "British" (what I really meant was English) culture that it would not be an issue. It was one of those I will figure it out when I get there things.
 

RS: 
So we heard you're doing a radio show over there. Tell us a little bit about what you play and discuss on the air.


NH: Yes, I have brought my radio program "The Beach" across the pond with me. It is basically the same show I have at Stonehill, a mix of modern alternative and folk, classic rock, classic indie (The Smiths), a little punk, and everything in between. Basically the mantra for the show is, to quote Mick Jagger, "It's only Rock n Roll, but I like it"


RS: 
What's been the biggest culture shock from being in a new country?

NH: In my opinion, culture shock can kind of be like an earthquake, sometimes there are large tremors and sometimes there are just small aftershocks. At the beginning there was a huge quake of "Oh my God, what is this country? Everything is different?" Now I simply enjoy taking notice in the different phrases, expressions, foods, customs, spelling, and culture overall. To summarize, I have continued to learn about the culture, the only difference is now it does not overwhelm me, I embrace it. 


We see you recently got to meet the Tallest Man on Earth. Can you tell us a little about that?

NH: Yes, I did meet The Tallest Man On Earth. Probably one of the greatest moments of my life. To make a long story short, my friend and I ended up in the same cafe as him, so when he stood up from where he was sitting, we went over, introduced ourselves, chatted a wee bit, and got a photo. He was just such a relaxed, yet still so focused guy. He had it in his eye and it all came out in the show.


The "Tallest Man on Earth", Kristian Matsson
RS:  Have you discovered any new music or art in Europe that you wouldn't have picked up in America?

NH: I wish I could say, but unfortunately no. You could maybe count my re-interest in The Who, but that is just because I love 60's rock, before it became big and bloated in the 70's. What has really happened is I go through periods where I listen to marathons of American music. I will devour the catalogs of Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Neil Young (technically he is Canadian), Bon Iver, Iron & Wine, Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, and Passion Pit. You get the picture. I like to hear my country in my music choice, both classic rock and modern alternative. My goal is to get into one Scottish band that captures what I feel that the sound of St. Andrews is.

-----
Nicole Colantonio '14
Image credit: Nick Howard and yetimusic.net