Thursday, March 14, 2013

Cultural Osmosis: Gaining Perspective and Acculturation Through Travel


Over Spring break, I travelled farther than Virginia for the first time in my life, going abroad to Germany with my fellow LC members. Leading up to our travel, I felt nothing but anxiety and fear: What if the plane we fly on crashed? What if I am stuck sitting next to someone with body odor? What if I get the window seat and have to force the person next to me to get up multiple times because I need to utilize the facilities? What if I lose my luggage? What if I can’t find anything to eat? And the list goes on. Everything that someone who has not travelled before worries about, came across my mind. After a lengthy flight, we touched down in Munich with no problem, easing my anxieties partially. We then left the airport and headed towards our bus, and as I looked around at the second largest city in all of Germany, I realized how life changing an experience I was going to have: gaining perspective and cultural diversity through my travels.
Travelling to Germany had its obvious advantages: the chance to see more historical German landmarks than most will ever see in their life in the course of 13 days, the opportunity to experience a vibrant and youthful German nightlife, the chance to sample a new cuisine, the chance to test the language skills I have been honing all year in my German class, and the ability to check something off my bucket list, leaving the United States and going abroad. These were all amazing advantages and experience gained from our time in the Vaterland, but upon arriving back here at Stonehill I found I have gained something even more valuable: perspective. I have lived on the South Shore my whole life, and have rarely left without the company of family. Going to Germany threw me into a new culture, and allowed me to see how others live beyond the Stonehill, and Southern Massachusetts bubble.
I observed many things about the Germans, but there are a particular few worth mentioning here. The first thing I noticed is their impeccable time management skills: whether it was a tour guide, member of the hotel staff, or a waiter, all the Germans I encountered were timely and conscious of the hour. The beauty of their precision in regards to their schedules was that they were not on time because they were constantly in a rush as we often are here in the states, rather they moved at a normal pace and yet were never late. Germans also place a large emphasis on utility, be it their vehicles, their showers, their souvenirs, you name it, they were all well-made and built to last. Germans also treat money different than we do, when one prepares to pay at a restaurant you pay right at the table, you don’t send your payment off and wait for the waiter or waitress to come back, it all happens right in front of you in a shockingly transparent process. It is also not a shock to a server if they receive no tip, for their wages are high enough as it is so they do not have to work strictly for gratuities, they make a respectable wage no matter what you tip them. Perhaps most shocking to Americans, nearly every German restrooms require a fee for entry. This may sound obnoxious, but these restrooms were kept impeccably clean and stocked with nearly every amenity one could imagine. Germany was just an entirely different world, and I liked it. It was amazing because even the most trivial of tasks such as paying a waiter or using the bathroom were the polar opposite of what I was used to, and therefore an experience worth having.
I do not mean to downplay the significance of my time abroad by highlighting such specificities, but I would like to use them as a springboard to explain the more broad societal themes of Germany. Through my day to day interactions, I realized the German people place an emphasis on utility, transparency, punctuality, a normal and deliberate pace, cleanliness, cordiality, and the ability to make a respectable living despite one’s profession. Not to beat a dead horse, but can any of us say that we have never commented on the lack of such characteristics in our own country? I know that as Americans we like to go it alone, but maybe we can learn more from the Europeans than we may think.

Brendan Monahan '15
Image credit: Brendan Monahan